Jewish Colonization Association (JCA) - Head Office (Paris, New York, London)

The Jewish Colonization Association was founded in 1891 by Baron Maurice de Hirsch of Paris, with the purpose of assisting Jews in depressed economic circumstances or in countries which persecuted them politically (chiefly Eastern Europe).

The most prominent of its activities was the resettling of Jews from Eastern Europe on lands purchased for them in South America, chiefly Argentina and Brazil. However, JCA also devoted much effort and money to education, especially vocational training in hundreds of Eastern communities, as well as encouraging agriculture and small industrial ventures in these countries.

The archives of the head office contain about 3200 files of correspondence, c. 1891 to 1971, between the head office and JCA's branches in Russia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Argentina, Brazil, Romania, Austria (Galicia), Turkey, Cyprus and Israel (then Palestine), as well as with other philanthropic organizations, such as the Alliance Israélite Universelle, ORT, HIAS, etc.

The head office archives also contain several series of  reports and minutes (seances) in printed and mimeographed form. For most of these, duplicates exist elsewhere, although it is doubtful whether such a complete set exists in any one place outside of the Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People in Jerusalem.

This collection's research potential is enormous. In addition to chronicling the history of the organization itself, the files are rich in information on emigration to South (and North) America, as well as economic and agricultural activity there.

Many files deal with Jewish schools in Eastern Europe, professional and other, some of them set up by JCA, others supported by the organization. For some of these schools and indeed for some of these communities, the JCA files provide the only surviving written evidence of their existence.

Another aspect of JCA's activity in Eastern Europe was the encouragement of "productive" i.e. agricultural and industrial activity. The files abound in information on loan associations and cooperatives set up to assist the Jews in these ventures.

Not to be overlooked are the colonies in Palestine, which received assistance from JCA from 1896 onwards. In 1899 Baron Edmond de Rothschild transferred to JCA the colonies under his care, and only in 1923 were they returned to his "jurisdiction" with the foundation of PICA (the Palestine Jewish Colonisation Association).

The 3200 correspondence files (which contain reports, maps and school plans as well) contain approximately 500,000 pages, about 40% of which are handwritten and the remainder typed. The most dominant language is French, with German not far behind. Other languages, in order of their relative prevalence, are Russian, Romanian, Yiddish, English, Hebrew, Polish and Spanish.

אוסף ההנהלה הראשית של ארגון יק"א (לונדון) בארכיון המרכזי לתולדות העם היהודי, ירושלים

החברה להתיישבות יהודית – יק"א (Jewish Colonisation Association - JCA) נוסדה ב-1891 על ידי הברון מוריס דה-הירש מפאריס, ע"מ לסייע ליהודים השרויים במצוקה כלכלית או תחת רדיפה פוליטית, בעיקר במזרח אירופה. בתחילה ניסה הירש לפתור את מצוקת יהודי מזרח אירופה בתוך גבולות האימפריה הצארית באמצעות מפעלי התיישבות, חינוך והכשרה מקצועית, אך משנכזב מיחס השלטון הרוסי החל לפעול למען הגירה מאסיבית של יהודים ממזרח אירופה לדרום אמריקה, בעיקר לארגנטינה ולברזיל, וליישובם במושבות חקלאיות. ברבות השנים תמכה יק"א גם במוסדות ובמפעלים פילנתרופיים שונים ברחבי העולם היהודי.  

המשרד הראשי של יק"א שכן בפאריס עד 1949, עת עבר ללונדון. ארכיון המשרד כולל כ-3200 תיקים של התכתבות מהשנים 1971-1891 בין המטה לסניפים השונים ברוסיה, פולין, ליטה, לטביה, ארגנטינה, ברזיל, רומניה, אוסטריה (גליציה), טורקיה, קפריסין וארץ ישראל, וכן התכתבות עם ארגונים פילנתרופיים אחרים, דוגמת כי"ח, אורט והיא"ס. בנוסף להתכתבויות, כולל ארכיון יק"א בארכיון המרכזי לתולדות העם היהודי את האוסף המקיף ביותר של דוחות ופרוטוקולים (דפוס ושכפול) של הארגון.

האוסף מכיל כ-500,000 דפים, כ-40% מהם בכתב יד. שפות הכתיבה העיקריות הן צרפתית (על פי רוב) וגרמנית. שפות נוספות הן: רוסית, רומנית, יידיש, אנגלית, עברית, פולנית וספרדית.

 

בנוסף לחשיבותו של האוסף לתיעוד הארגון עצמו, הוא תורם רבות להבנת תהליכים מרכזיים בחיי היהודים בעת החדשה, כהגירה לעולם החדש, פרודוקטיביזציה והתיישבות חקלאית. חשיבות מיוחדת נודעת לשיקוף ההתיישבות היהודית בארגנטינה מראשיתה ועד הסיום הרשמי של פעילות הארגון שם ב-1975, באמצעות התכתבות; דוחות של המושבות, הסניף הראשי בבואנוס איירס ואישים שביקרו במקום; קטעי עיתונות ועוד. כן מתועדת באוסף פעילות הארגון באימפריה הצארית לעידוד התיישבות חקלאית ותעשייה, וכן פעילות הארגון בארץ ישראל. הארגון סייע למושבות א"י החל מ-1896, וב-1899 העביר אליו הברון אדמונד דה-רוטשילד את האחריות על מושבותיו עד 1923, עת הוקמה פיק"א (Palestine Jewish Colonisation Association). 

Collection Type: 
Organizations
Country: 
International
City or Region: 
Paris
New York
London
Date: 
1891 - 1997
Amount: 
3189 files
Record No.: 
JCA-Lon
ListSize
File JCA Head Office.pdf1.15 MB